The Australian Native Bee Book
2 in stock
By Tim Heard
Keeping native stingless bees is a hot topic in Australia for commercial, environmental and recreational reasons. You can do something about the decline of pollinators by conserving native bees.
This book is the complete guide to native stingless bees, written by an expert who has spent his lifetime intimately engaged with these unique creatures. Whether you keep a hive or two in your suburban garden, or want multiple hives on a commercial farm, this friendly guide has you covered.
Includes sections on:
- Bee biology, behaviour, nesting, social life and foraging
- How to build your own native bee hive
- How to transfer a bee colony to a hive box and propagate hives
- All about sugarbag honey, including how to extract it from hives
- Managing your hive, identifying and dealing with pests
- Using stingless bees for pollination – from small gardens to commercial crops
- A complete list of Australia’s stingless bee species, how to identify them, their characteristics, where they occur, and recommended hives
Richly illustrated with over 500 photos, drawings and charts to aid your learning.
(246 pages, Paperback, Aust)